A Beautiful, trendy, naked cake for a beautiful bride on her wedding day!
White Cake w/ Chocolate Espresso Buttercream
Serves: 1 cake
A light and scrumptious, crowd pleasing recipe. I made this for my eldest daughter's rustic barn wedding, and it was a complete hit! I have to admit that I needed all the time I could find, as I did the entire wedding myself (Yes, decor and all), so this is not homemade from scratch, but was just as worthy!
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 lg. egg whites
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 stick (1 cup) Crisco, unflavored
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (I use homemade)
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. Dark cocoa powder
- ½ a tsp. espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease to 8 inch cake pans and thinly coat with flour. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes or until well blended. Divide between the 2 cake pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until pic comes out clean in the center. let cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Cream butter and Crisco in a stand mixer until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla extract and espresso powder. Add the powdered sugar ½ a cup at a time, alternating sugar and cocoa. Mix on medium/high, once the mixture is blended, to whip to a creamy texture.
- Make sure the cake is cooled completely before icing!
- Cut cake into 2 or 3 layers and frost between each layer, moving frosting all the way to the edge. Run an icing scraper along the edge of the cake and fill in the gaps of frosting until smooth! Enjoy